Hike Til You Puke (HiTUP)…
- Find a hill with a trail and a couple of thousand feet of relief.
- Take your running gear, some water a few energy bars and gels and maybe a waterproof shell.
- Start climbing as fast as possible. Run as much as you can, when you can’t run walk, if you can’t walk crawl.
- When you reach the top… stop.
- Try not to puke either before, during or immediately afterwards.
Alternatives to #2 include hiking poles and/or a 45lb pack (fill with water bottles so you can lighten the load for the descent).
Around Seattle there are numerous places you can get a great workout doing this; Tiger Mountain, Mount Si, Granite Mountain and a whole bunch of other suffer fests.
I started early this year running Tiger a bunch of times in January before I got injured and sick. Well the clocks went back this weekend so it’s time to get serious.